Sunday, February 19, 2006

Very nice post yesterday from DH of DH Spicy about securing your own computer from everyday hacks.



As you know, I like to explore and look around, well today I spent two hours re-scanning my Pc due to a Trojan that just jumped in as I entered a site. Unfortunately, I can’t report the url for you to avoid as it’s gone. I’m a cautious surfer. I’ve had to remedy too many systems at the office not to be. But today I got stung.



His post includes a reminder to not just backup your data and email but also to practice restoring it as well. His final reminder...



Fortunately, I didn’t have to go to that extent today, as my Anti-Virus took care of things. But shit happens. It doesn’t have to be from a Virus, it could be a Hard Drive crash. That’s usually an 8 hour job. Restoring OS, Programs, Restore Data, configure internet and stuff. But if you are well prepared, at least there is minimal lost.

If you have an Anti-Virus, which I hope you do, make sure it has the most recent, up to date signatures.

If you operate, on line systems, like blogs, message boards etc, you should download your back ups and make them part of your regular routine. Database at least.

Read his whole post here.



Sound advice. We don't have to wait for hackers, you know. Sometimes just a well-timed laptop drop is all it takes. I do fairly regular backups, sending email, image, and data files to a safe location, backing up my blog templates and databases on my server, and for extra credit, keeping a copy of my server files on my home machine and (to a limited extent) vice versa. If I go down I'll be a major nuisance, but it won't be a complete catastrophe. You can do that too.

figleaf

5 Comments:

Blogger Aragorn Had this to say...

Figleaf, so, so true. Let me repeat a thousand times to people: backup, bacjup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, ... x 1000. One only realizes when it is too late ... Oh well ... ;-)

10:05 AM  
Blogger Dee Jour Had this to say...

www.anyonesgirl02.blogspot.com

be wary of this link because when you try to open it you're given a warning plus it opens up a blogger page that prompts you to log in.

2:30 AM  
Blogger SD Had this to say...

I don't know about Kim's (Anyones Girl) new link, but her old link will infect your computer with a nasty little virus.

If you're still linked to her old URL, be careful.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Scribe Called Steff Had this to say...

I have backed up nothing.

It's been sort of a priority.

It will be a big one now that I have time off. I recently enabled the blogsend feature on Blogger so anything new I've been posting has been archiving on Gmail accounts set up for the purpose.

Sigh. Work, work, work. Shit.

11:27 PM  
Blogger DH Spicy Had this to say...

Indeed her old link does bring on Nasty Stuff.

Thanks for bringing out the advice from my post. If you're doing anything worthwhile on your computer, you've got to do this!

There are Usb drives, that are worth while getting. You can drag your data to them, giving you extra time to burn to CD, DVD or tape.
Some backups, that are repetitive but for that day's new data can also be over written with the new data.

Surf Safe and take your precautions.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home